Bowmore 12 Years Old
- ABV: 40%
- Age: 12 Years Old
- Bottling: OB
- Category: Islay single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £34.95 from Master of Malt
- Origin: Bowmore distillery
- Vintage: Undeclared
What they say
Reflecting the essence of Bowmore – thrashing waves, windswept landscapes and generations of tradition – our 12 years old is both complex and perfectly balanced. Subtle lemon and sweet heather honey complement Bowmore’s trademark peat smoke, leading to a delicious, long and mellow finish.
Official tasting notes:
On The Eye: Warm amber
Breathe In: Subtle lemon and honey, balanced beautifully by Bowmore’s trademark peaty smokiness
Sip: Warm and delicious on the palate with subtle dark chocolate flavours
Savour: Trademark gentle peat smoke, leading to a delicious, long and mellow finish
What I say
Bowmore’s introductory age-statement at 12 Years Old, embodies the core flavours of honeyed fruit, soft peat smoke and salty coastal nature.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Dark amber gold (10/20), medium-large, oily tears and medium legs.
- Nose: Sweet and peaty, smoked, smoky sweet shop, coastal, seashore, shellfish, malty, oaky, fruity, apple medley, apricot, grapefruit, sweet lemon
- Taste: Full bodied, rich, thick, oily palate, creamy texture, gentle smoke, creamy malt, vanilla, rich apple, pear, becomes more neutral and oaked, crisp smoked bacon.
- Finish: long, effervescent, slightly prickly wood and peat, caramel and heather honey
Lovely, gently smoky and coastal elements with lots of honeyed soft fruits too, the perfect introduction to Bowmore’s core range.