Aultmore 2010 The Firkin Rare
Aultmore 2010 The Firkin Rare (48.9%, The Firkin Whisky Co. Tawny Port Cask #800670, 273 Bottles, 2020)
- ABV: 48.9%
- Age: 9 Years Old
- Bottling: The Firkin Whisky Company
- Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £69
- Origin: Aultmore distillery
- Vintage: 2010
What they say
The Aultmore distillery is located on the Foggie moss burn outside Keith in Speyside. The stretch of the road leading to the distillery often disappears in a blanket of fog. So even finding the distillery is hard, let alone a single malt Aultmore. Most Aultmore whisky finds itself in blended scotch. This Firkin whisky really is rare.
We paired an Aultmore 2010 with a tawny port in one of our fabulous Firkin custom casks. The result is a unique and satisfying whisky. A Rare and fabulous dram under the Firkin Rare label.
Official tasting notes:
Big, fresh nose of red fruit and oak spice. This whisky rolls over the taste buds. Round and long with a ripper combo of red fruit, creamy malt, bright spirit and cinnamon oak.
So why pair Aultmore with Tawny Port? Well, both are smoother and less robust than their port brothers. Tawny port is softer and more subtle than Ruby Port and the tawny flavours melt into the Aultmore spirit in our custom cask.
What I say
Next up from The Firkin Whisky Company’s Summer 2020 release this Aultmore distillate has been finished in a custom ex-Tawny Port cask hand built from ex American and French oak.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Dark Copper (13/20), medium-fine, tears and fine legs.
- Nose: Sweet and soft, strawberry marshmallows, toasted cereals, brioche, soft oak wood, heather honey, malted barley, Morello cherries, strawberries & cream ice cream.
- Taste: Rich red fruits, strawberry, raspberry, cherry, plum, oak wood, cinnamon, gentle cereals, toast with refreshing strawberry jam and honey, caramel, wisp of smoke?
- Finish: Long, soft fruits and spices.
Another great combination of distillate and cask again here from The Firkin Whisky Company. Loving the soft red fruits in this expression, soft, gentle and subtle so as not to hide the core distillate flavours.